A Snip from Michael Bloch, GreenLivingTips.com. For interesting V-Day facts, please read the entire article.
If Valentines Day is an important day for you or the one you love; then you can also show a bit of extra love for the environment by carefully considering what you buy. Here’s some ideas:
– Cards made from recycled or tree-free paper (this will be indicated on the card)
– Consider sending an e-card instead using one of the many quality services around.
– Fair trade and/or organic chocolate
– Choose organic and/or locally grown flowers
– Make a donation to an environmental organization on behalf of the person.
– If you wish to give jewelry, consider pre-owned or purchasing from jewelers who are certified to be sourcing precious metals and gemstones in an ecologically and socially responsible manner. Or considering something really offbeat like a wooden ring – they look amazing.
– Buy the person a gift certificate for holistic therapies e.g. massage, naturopath, health spa.
– Arrange dinner at a local restaurant specializing in organic or locally grown food. Eating locally cuts down on food miles.
– Perhaps make dinner yourself using locally grown ingredients, accompanied by a nice organic wine. Set the mood with earth-friendly candles. The effort you put in will be sure to impress!
– Book a retreat in a wildlife reserve, park or natural area. Your business will help support the running of such establishments.
– Give natural perfumes and fragrances. Popular mainstream fragrances are chemical cocktails. By buying natural fragrances, you’ll be showing you not only care for the environment, but the person’s health.